20170101 - Weekly News

Current and past editions

20170101 - Weekly News

Postby dia » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:45 am

WEEKLY NEWS WELCOMES WES TAYLOR

As most of you know Wes Taylor, who has been the editor of HHICC's outstanding Newsletter for 20 years, published the final issue of Island Computing in December. Members will surely miss this excellent publication but we have not lost Wes. He will assist Joan and Claudia with publication of the Weekly News. Look for contributions from Wes in the coming weeks.

HHICC OFFICERS FOR 2017

Results of the election of officers to lead HHICC in the year 2017
were announced at the recent Annual Membership Meeting. Your new Officers are:
President Bob Gentzler
Vice President Bob Manne
Secretary John Ambler
Treasurer Dave McCoy

MANY THANKS to our Events Coordinator Linda Jackson and her committee for the wonderful Christmas Party. It was an outstanding evening, enjoyed by all.

New Member Orientation
Tuesday, January 3, at 4pm

Led by Jolyn Bowler

New Members should drop by for a review of our Club's assets and resources. This is an opportunity for members to meet each other and learn about the Hilton Head Island Computer Club. A great starting point for those of us who don't know what we don't know about computers. If you haven't attended one of these sessions yet, come and learn more about the Computer Club. Jolyn may be reached at jolyn.bowler@gmail.com.

Apple Education Group - Hot Tips and Tricks
Monday, January 9, at 2:00 PM

Led by Wes Taylor and Judi Shade

On Monday, January 9 the Apple Education Group will meet at 2:00 PM. We will present hot tips and tricks for solving problems or enhancing operation of Apple devices. Emphasis will be on iPhone and iPad. Please direct questions to shade@hargray.com.

Windows 10 - Basic Training
Monday, January 16, 2017 from 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
Norm Galloway, Instructor

This will be a Windows 10 Introduction Class. It will cover everything you need to know to start using Windows 10. It assumes you have been successfully using Windows XP, 7, or 8. This is not intended to be a “hands on” training session but rather an introduction to the features of Windows 10 and a chance to ask some questions. You will be given online tutorials that you may use at home to reinforce the material that is shown in the class.

A reservation is required and seating is limited to 60.
CLICK HERE to reserve.

Why Your Tech is a Pain in Your Neck. And Back. And Eyes
All those blinky, flashy, beepy screens keep you connected at your body's expense. Here's why it's time to cut back.
By Jessica Dolcourt - c/net.com, December 15, 1016

For an uninterrupted hour every week, Susan Friedman stashes her smartphone in a locker and turns her full attention to a different screen. On her spin-class bike, only the control panel matters, and physical discomfort comes from exhausted, burning quads -- not neck or eye strain.

For Friedman, a 35-year-old attorney in Los Angeles, spin class isn't just about getting strong. It's also about staying sane and pain-free. Like many of us, Friedman works up to 70 hours a week from her desktop, laptop and smartphone -- and being always online exacts a physical and psychological toll. By sidelining her phone for an hour, Friedman gives her mind a rare break from workplace and social pressure, while letting her body repair.

"I carry my stress in my shoulders," Friedman says. "So I'm always tense. My eyes will start fluttering, and I can't tell what I'm reading. I get headaches from the eyestrain."

Sound familiar? Neck aches. Sore back. Eyestrain. Thumb strain. Poor sleep. Lack of focus. These are all well-documented symptoms of our digital age, and sure signs that the screens that enrich our lives often overload our brains and bodies, too. In the short term, too much screen time can leave you sore and stressed. But in the long term, using laptops, phones and tablets all day can lead to chronic pain and possibly blunted long-term memory, not to mention a habitual dependence on being constantly connected -- and anxious when you're not.
Body blitz

People who work from digital screens for more than four consecutive hours a day are at higher risk for both short-term and chronic pain. Bad posture is to blame, mostly from slouching, a misaligned spine and looking down.

CLICK HERE to read rest of this article.

CLUB RESOURCES

ALL THINGS APPLE HELP AT THE COMPUTER CLUB

Every Monday morning and Wednesday and Thursday afternoons, a Mac member is at the Resource Center to answer your questions and help you through any issues.
You can also use the iMac computer, bring your laptop, or just come in to get information.
If you have any questions, contact Judi Shade at shade@hargray.com.

Assistance with Tablets

Resource Center volunteers are available to help members with their tablets:

iPad on Monday mornings (Judi Shade, Frank Sullivan and Ed Cliff); Wednesday mornings (Wes Taylor and Karen Kemp); Wednesday afternoon (Judi Shade); Thursday afternoons (Bob Gentzler and Melnee Kasper)
Android on Tuesday afternoons (Jolyn Bowler)
Kindle Fire and e-Readers on Monday mornings (Ed Cliff)
Microsoft Surface: Monday afternoons (Norm Galloway);Thursday mornings (Bob Rathke); Friday mornings (Emory Logan)

Please call the Resource Center (842-4475) to verify the volunteer you wish to consult is on duty that day.

Resource Center Substitutes!

Please consider adding your name to our Resource Center Substitute List. The Resource Center is open M-F, in two shifts, 10 AM-1 PM & 1-4 PM, with two volunteers per shift. You would be with a regular volunteer, helping members, and learning along the way. In addition, we will be instituting a training session so that you'll be able to hit the ground running. If you are interested, even if you only have one day of the week when you might be available, please contact Linda Jackson at volunteercoordinator@hhicc.org.
dia
Past President

Return to HHICC Weekly News